Monday, January 2, 2012

How to Write and What to Read

While I was in Ireland, our rental house had a small library with travel guides, discarded paperback mysteries, and a few old gems. I was mightily tempted to steal a book called How to Write and What to Read (written by Richard Ferrar Patterson and W. Kersley Holmes), but my husband shamed me into leaving it in the house. Still, I snapped some images of a few pages so I could consult some of the words later. Today, I share a tiny snippet contained in that book:


"We cannot all be Shakespeares; but we can all learn to express ourselves; for who knows what, in the course of our lives, we may be called upon to express.

"Words and sentences are the writer’s tools, and as most of us have to be writers at some time or another, if only writers of notes to our friends, or applications for posts, we must learn how to make those tools serve our purpose."

No comments: