Sunday, December 4, 2011

A reader's wishlist

It Chooses You
by Miranda July
We've already talked about this book, but a friend told me she finished this in a day.

The Marriage Plot
by Jeffrey Eugenides 
This was the book club selection last month at work, but I'm always in the middle of some other book when they have their meetings. No matter -- now I have several recommendations from co-workers that this is a good read.



Food Rules
by Michael Pollan and Maira Kalman
I've already told the Hubbs that I want this book, because hello? Food writing + illustrations by Maira Kalman. Yes.


Lucky Peach
The first issue on ramen had recipes, travel stories about hitting up noodle shops in Japan, and a panel of chefs ranting about the modern food scene. If you love No Reservations, you want a subscription to this magazine. NOTE: This is a food magazine for readers and adventurers, not for people who want 30-minute-meal ideas. (Not that there's anything wrong with a 30-minute-meal recipe -- I use variations on them all the time -- but don't look for it here.)
Remedy Quarterly
I've never seen this magazine in person, but based on the gorgeous design and the website, I want it. For example, there's a recipe for a "red, white and yellow bowl" that cures hangovers. You just top steamed rice with two eggs, some sriracha and scallions. Doesn't that sound easy and tasty?

 The Gentlewoman
Not only do I want to read this magazine, I want to become the effortlessly cool, chic, creative women that are featured within its pages. British, printed on thick paper, with beautiful black-and-white photography. 

PS - Also, everything on the New York Times "best books" list

No comments: